Thursday, June 3, 2010

I'm sorry I havn't posted in a while!

This has been a really, really busy couple of weeks, with my graduation, graduation party, registering at KSU, and several other stuff going on, so my silence on here isn't due to a lack of interest.

My next post is going to be on one of the most noticable things about AS and something I'll try not to get TOO descriptive of: my often obsessive interests.

My entire life I've had a tendency to obsess over a single series, chracter, or aspect of something. These usually come on fast, and rarely do I ever fully lose interest in these (hence my interest in some things usually intended for little kids). This item, however, has been known to change, so the list is actually somewhat long. Despite this, I'm sure most to all of my close friends have heard me talk about all of them at at least some point - Pokemon, Bionicle, Stargate, Sonic the Hedgehog, and Redwall are only a handful.

Why I like these series, I'll admit I don't always know. In the case of some, like Bionicle, I stopped following the stories and toys as religiously as I once did when I realized it wasn't always worth the effort, yet I still see myself following things like Pokemon, which take even more effort to stay involved in. In any case, hatever the reason for interests is isn't important; I am interested in what I am interested in.

What DOES make a difference is the amount of time I often spend in these. I sometimes play a single video game for hours on end, occasionally well past decent waking hours. I also spend hours watching some shows on TV, reading up on news or summaries of them, and even just sitting around thinking about them. I have an elyclopedic knowledge of a lot of complicated series, and in cases of things like Stargate or Pokemon, can recite facts about characters or episodes from memory with zero difficulty. Though none of this is nessisarily bad, it often cuts in on things, like school or chores, that should be more important.

I honestly am still trying to figure out what to do about this. I like what I like, and don't plan to change it or enjoy it less, but being THIS interested in things can result in losing track of time, or putting off priorities.

The obvious answer to this is keeping priorities straight. I like to think I'm getting better at knowing when something else is more important than what I WANT to do. I also learn to use cutoffs for things that spin TOO out of controll -- I'm deciding not to buy one of the recent Pokemon games because it will take up more time than I'm going to have in the next few months. I'm also learning to use my interests as incentive to get my work done.

Though it seems to affect me more that most (though definately not all) people I know, obsessive interests still don't appear very uncommon. What kinds of things do you often find yourself overindulging in, or learning more about than you obviously need to?

-Caleb

No comments:

Post a Comment