Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Noise!

So far I seem to have positive feedback. Hopefully as time goes on I'll get a better idea of what exactly I want to be doing on here, so that I can do it better. For now, though, I wanted to mention another quirk I've had with my Aspergers, and aside from my focus, one of the most persistent -- my struggle with loud noises.

This has shown up in my life with some regularity. I was afraid of movie theaters until high school, I can only take so much of loud concerts, and if car music becomes too loud I start to feel tense. Even in things aside from noise -- chaotic lights, huge crowds, and so on -- often bother me. The biggest way I've dealt with this is simple; leave the room. Whether I actually leave and go home, or just take a few moments for myself before returning, I've found that the silence helps me calm down so I can go back if I need to. For times when this doesn't work, I sometimes use soundproof earmuffs or earplugs. Closing my eyes and plugging my ears, even, has had some levels of effectiveness.

I think this brings up a point I want to emphasise for people who have similar frustrations -- It is OKAY to leave when you need to! If you're at a friends house and things are getting loud, it won't be a huge deal to walk off to get some air or silence for a few minutes if you need it. If you have some commitment to where you are, or just can't leave, then knowing ahead of time to bring earplugs might help, but even if you pay money or however much to get into a concert or movie, staying isn't going to get you your money's worth any more than leaving will. I would rather lose my money than pay for something I find unpleasant. And each time something goes wrong and I'm in an uncomfortable situation again, I now KNOW to plan ahead for similar things. I learned to bring earplugs to places I need them because of the struggles I had when I didn't.

Before I conclude this post, I want to give a thanks to friends and family (you all know who you are) who have been willing to help me when they see I'm getting overwhelmed, or have at least put up with me when I get tense and quirky. You have no idea how much it helps just knowing other people can tell when I'm bothered by stuff.

So does anyone have other thoughts to add? Stories they'd like to share? Any comments or feedback is welcomed!

-Caleb

2 comments:

  1. how do you do at church?
    -chad frank

    ReplyDelete
  2. Worship at church usually isn't very overwhelming for me; as even when it is loud, it also generally isn't long. On the few occasions I have had trouble, I've been able to get a breath of fresh air at some point, and that always helps.

    ReplyDelete